A meeting at the beginning of the project or at the beginning of a major phase of the project to align peoples' understanding of project objectives, procedures and plans, and to begin the team-building process.
A kick-off meeting is typically a workshop type meeting and it may last from 1 to 3 days. It generally include several activities such as a project charter, a business plan review, team building exercises, a team charter, risk analysis...
How to conduct a kick-off meeting ?
A typical project planning kick-off meeting agenda covers the following aspects of a project:
This agenda template can be adapted to any particular priority. For better efficiency, it is recommended to have an external consultant conduct the meeting.
- Build a project framework: what are the project objectives ? who are the stakeholders ? What are the criteria for successful completion ? What are the business objectives ?
- Update the business plan or business case
- Organize the project governance: Who does what? What are the responsibilities of each member? what are the reporting procedures?
- Build or revise the master planning (key milestones, sequence of activities, dependencies...)
- Initiate the risk analysis
- Team building activities
- Define the quality management plan, and in particular the change control procedures